Monday, October 17, 2011

Been There, Done That

    This weekend I finally completed my sticker collection.  You know when you were younger it was a special day when we went to the grocery store, because we may have gotten something.  For me it was sticker books.  If my chores were done and my sisters didn't overshadow me I was rewarded with sitckers.
    Back in the day stickers were all shapes and sizes and details. We had photo albums full of them.  We even traded them.  We saved our quarters till the next time to get some of the more ellaborate stickers and kept pages open waiting for them to be placed.
    I don't remember when I stopped collecting stickers.  As a matter of fact I don't think I really ever have.  My stickers have gotten bigger and the meaning behind each of them has changed.  I drive around nowadays and see all sorts of stickers. Letters, Calvin without Hobbs, stick figures, race teams, the list could go on. 
    My collection has now become oval, white, and numerical.  I have now in my collection: 1.5, 5, 10, 13.1, 18, 51.5, 70.3, 140.6, 100, and my latest 26.2.  Now if you know what each of these numbers represent you are the type of person that may have a few of these on your vehicle.  I have come to a point in my life where I not only look at the number but the journey, sacrifice, and lessons that I took from earning each sticker.
    I have never once competed for reasons of only to earn a sticker, tattoo, or ego.  I have always approached every event as a possible life changing one.  I learn from every endeavor I undertake. Each day I learn, endure, push, and hope to survive.  And at the end of each event I take at least a day to reflect on the day and make my mental notes.  Then I hit the bath and rest.  The next day I think about what I can do next.
    Going long, short, or in between is not about achieving a sticker. It is not about the event.  It is about the album that you are compiling. 
    What is your album full of? Are your stickers ellaborate?  Do you have a favorite one? Wanna trade any? And most of all, have you filled that special spot with the one that you save all your quarters for?

1 comment:

  1. Very true Bernie very true. Proud of you man. You looked very smooth. No matter what the situation you find away by digging deep. You might not think this but I do look up to you!!!! Again nice work!!!!

    ReplyDelete